2003 - Santa of the Tree

The Inaugural Santa

This special oil pastel piece started the series, and has a unique sentiment attached to it ~ it was the first of many Santa Claus images to follow.
.
The portrait model for this image was a large Santa figure made by artist Jane Altadonna. Though bedecked in jewels and dressed in lush brown velvet, I adapted its colors and features to fit my artistic needs. The original Santa was positioned next to a small Christmas tree. It illuminated his robes, beard and cheeks in glowing light, which was the element that initially captured my interest. While working, I was charmed by rendering the likeness of Santa Claus and by the time work concluded, I had formed a special connection with the figure that Jane crafted. I own the Santa now, but did not purchase it until after completing the inaugural oil pastel.
.
..
THERE'S MORE!
PLEASE CONTINUE TO THE
NUTCRACKER COLLECTION
.
.
.
.

~THANK YOU FOR VISITING~

Have a Happy Holiday Season,
Shelley
.